The last year of my life has been a journey of ups, downs, and twists, but it has allowed me time for wonderful introspection, for self-growth and self-love. It’s been a year of progression and happiness.
So thank You, Year Of Ups And Downs, I’ve learnt a lot. Like …
• It is totally possible, and furthermore acceptable (and sometimes necessary) to be happy and sad at the same time. Albeit a strange concept.
• You should wear sunscreen daily. It’s not a marketing ploy.
• Live each moment through your own eyes and soul … not the eyes of a lens or a cellphone.
• You should love your children like there is no tomorrow. There may not be. My father once told me his children were his legacy, not his successful career. He was so right. I understand his meaning now.
• Self-love is vital. It’s not a social media trend.
• Those who have passed from this world die only when we, those whom they loved, forget them.
• Keep your fondest memories alive and fresh. They are anchors in a transitional world.
• Divorce is not taboo. Sometimes we’re not supposed to be with the same person forever. And that’s ok. Some people grow together. Others don’t.
• Every person serves a purpose in our lives, some for lengthy periods, some for shorter periods. It’s all part of life’s plan. Trust and believe.
• Some people will disappoint you. Take the lesson and move on. You’ll make way for others who will pleasantly surprise you.
• Your body is the only thing you have to experience life in, look after it.
• Cats on the bed in winter are the best. Everyone should have at least one.
• Listen to the stories your parents tell you. They become the strands in a rich and colourful tapestry when your parents are no longer with you.
• You’ll find your true tribe in times of hardship.
• You find love in the strangest places … like in a mix breed, 3-legged rescue dog who loves you unconditionally.
• Be an example of the change you want to see.
• Don’t ever judge others. It’s not your place. Besides, the same may well happen to you.
• Yoga is harder than it looks!
• Teaching your children accountability is one of the most valuable lessons you can give them.
• Make time for the people and things that you love. It’s amazing what you actually can find time for in a busy life.
• Surround yourself with inspirational people.
• Chase experiences, not money.
• Find your balance in the small things.
• Travel, read, go on adventures, cook, eat, share, live, laugh, and if you are going to love, love without regret. Remember it was right for that moment.
• Let go. It’s one of the most important actions you can learn.
• You can do anything you set your mind to. It’s amazing how adaptable we actually are.
• Love what you do and do what you love … it’s the best ingredient for daily happiness!
You learn daily. You grow. Sometimes you don’t even know that you’re growing until you look back … and you’re pleasantly surprised by the results.
Read next: A New Year Liberation